Facebook View
Skip to main content
Car Accidents
HawkLaw Fights for Greenville
wrecked car due to car crash

4.8 Average on Google

Greenville Car Accident Lawyer

When you’ve suffered through a car crash, you’re left with damages. If the accident wasn’t your fault, make sure the other driver pays for your suffering by calling a Greenville car wreck lawyer.

When you’re heading down the road, you’re likely not thinking about what could happen. You know to drive defensively, but when another driver swerves into your lane or doesn’t stop when they should, you might not be able to avoid an accident in time.

Now you’re hurt because they weren’t careful, and you’re suffering for it. An accident can have long-term consequences, and you shouldn’t have to pay for those consequences. Unfortunately, your suffering makes it tough to fight back.

Fortunately, you have options on your side. If you’re struggling in the wake of an auto wreck, a Greenville car accident lawyer from HawkLaw, PA will make a difference. If you’re struggling after your car crash, reach out for help getting the compensation you deserve.

Common Car Accident Injuries

One of your first considerations after a car accident will be your injuries. Your car might be totaled, but that can be replaced. Your health and safety, however, aren’t as easily fixed, so you’ll need medical care as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, auto accidents can be physically devastating. Because vehicles have so much momentum, even at what we think of as low speeds, the damages can be catastrophic. A seat belt or airbag may save your life, but it may not stop all the trauma your body may experience during a crash.

If you’ve suffered any of the following injuries or other traumatic wounds, you deserve compensation to help you recover:

  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Whiplash
  • Broken bones
  • Spinal injuries
  • Internal bleeding
  • Burns

Who’s at Fault?

After your accident, one of your first steps will be finding fault and contacting your insurance provider about the crash. South Carolina is a fault state, which means that the person at fault for the accident is also financially responsible. That means you’ll have to prove who caused the accident before you receive your settlement or compensation.

So, when you report your accident to the insurance company, you’ll need to have the other driver’s insurance information. You may file a claim with your insurance company, who will then seek compensation from the other driver’s insurer. They’ll make a settlement offer based on the damages you’ve suffered.

Unfortunately, they may not offer you enough, or they may refuse to settle with you at all. If you believe they plan to fight back, you’ll need to take your claim to court. In this case, you’ll need to file a claim against the driver for your compensation, and you’ll need to be ready to defend your claim.

Comparative Negligence Will Affect You

Unfortunately, you can expect the other driver to be unwilling to pay. They don’t want to cover the high expenses you’ve likely accrued because of your accident. As such, they’ll usually push back and try to put the blame on you. If you don’t fight this, that could diminish or dismiss your claim.

South Carolina also recognizes modified comparative negligence, which means that your compensation will be reduced if you’re found partly at fault for the accident. For example, if you’re found 20 percent at fault for your Greenville accident, you’ll only receive 80 percent of your compensation. If you’re found more than 50 percent at fault for the accident, you’ll be unable to receive any compensation at all.

When you’re dealing with long-term medical bills, that’s unacceptable. That’s why you need a Greenville car accident attorney on your side. You’ll need help fighting back when they accuse you of fault. Losing what you’re owed can leave you struggling with your recovery for years after the incident. Even a small percent could mean thousands of dollars that you need but won’t receive for your bills.

Seeking Compensation for Your Crash

Once you’ve decided to file, what compensation should you seek? Determining your claim’s worth is tough without an attorney’s help. You’ll need the right tools to calculate your damages, both tangible and intangible, and you may not have the same amount of experience with them.

As such, you’ll need help finding both your economic and non-economic damages. Your economic damages should be simpler to calculate, however. These damages are the monetary losses you’ve suffered because of your car crash. Your repair bills, for example, would fall under these damages.

Don’t forget that not all your suffering is financial, however. The emotional and mental toll you’ve suffered might not have a price tag on it, but it’s important to be compensated for these damages as well.

Not sure what to include in your compensation? Speak to your lawyer about any of the following damages you’ve suffered and what they’re worth:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Emotional trauma
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering

Greenville Car Accident FAQ

Car accidents are rarely simple. Every location, car, and driver is unique, so things can go wrong differently for every accident. For example, a motorcycle accident on a rainy day will come with unique damages as compared to a pileup with a semi-truck. Unfortunately, that leaves you with more questions than answers, which can affect your compensation.

That’s what your car accident lawyer is here for. You need help getting answers and getting your compensation, so reach out to our firm today if you have questions about your case.

How long do I have to file?

When you’re injured, your time is limited. South Carolina residents will need to file within three years to get their compensation. Otherwise, their claim will be thrown out, and they’ll be barred from recovery.

How do you determine fault?

Determining fault will depend on the type of accident and the evidence we can gather from the accident. For example, if someone rear-ended you, chances are good that they’re at fault. In a T-bone accident, however, we may need to ask witnesses about who was wrongfully crossing the intersection.

I was in a single-vehicle accident. Can I still sue?

Yes, you can sue in a single-vehicle accident. While there wasn’t another vehicle involved, your accident could have been caused by a defective part or a damaged roadway. That means the responsibility of your accident may be on the manufacturer of the part, or the Department of Transportation may have indirectly caused the accident. A lawyer can help you investigate and find the person or group liable for your injuries.

I was in a rideshare vehicle accident. Can I still sue?

If you’ve been hurt while taking a Lyft or Uber, reach out to your Greenville rideshare accident lawyer. You may be due compensation for your losses, so make sure you get the help you need for your claim.

See How a Car Accident Lawyer in Greenville Can Help

When someone else causes a car accident, chances are good that they’ll try to avoid paying for your suffering. They might be the ones responsible, but they’ll do what they can to put the blame on you and avoid paying. Sadly, this tactic may work if you’re not prepared to fight back.

Fighting back isn’t easy when you’re injured and overwhelmed with the expenses and losses you’ve suffered. So, if you’re struggling with your claim, reach out to a lawyer from HawkLaw, PA. Our attorneys understand the strain an accident puts on you, and we can help lift some of that burden. We’ll help you fight back with the right defense.

Unsure where to get started? Reach out for a free consultation today. A Greenville car accident lawyer is ready to speak to you before you sign anything so that you know what to expect and how we can help. When you’re ready to get started on your fight for compensation, reach out by calling 1-888-HAWK-LAW (429-5529) or by completing the online form below.

Visit Our Office

HawkLaw, P.A.
3 Caledon Ct # A
Greenville, SC 29615
+1 (864) 514-4383
Our location: