Spartanburg Truck Accident Lawyer
When you’re hit by a dangerous truck driver, the results can be lethal. You need help recovering from your suffering, so reach out to a truck accident lawyer in Spartanburg for help with your case.
While tractor-trailers are a common way to transport our goods across the country, it can be scary to ride next to one. They’re often massive, and the wind around one alone can shake your car. When one runs off the road or into other motorists, the damage can be extreme.
As such, you’ll need help when a semi-truck crashes into you, leaving you badly injured. You’ll need compensation for your suffering, but that can be tough to track down when you’re injured. You’ll need a Spartanburg truck accident lawyer who understands how serious your situation is.
At HawkLaw, PA, we know how dangerous a semi-truck can be, and we’ll help you fight back when one injures you. Make sure you’re getting the compensation you deserve by fighting back, with our help, when you’re struggling.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Determining what caused your 18-wheeler accident will be vital to proving that someone else was at fault. When you know what caused the crash, you’ll have an idea of who’s at fault and how to prove it.
Because that can be complex, get a lawyer’s help. They can help you find the reason for your accident, which may include any of the following:
- Driving Under the Influence – Sadly, drugs and alcohol are a major cause of truck crashes. Semi-trucks require quick reflexes and strong judgement to main control of the vehicle, so when those senses are compromised, you and other drivers are in danger. If the other driver is charged with a DUI, speak with your lawyer about when to file your own claim.
- Distracted Driving – When a truck driver is behind the wheel, we like to think they’re paying attention to only the road. Unfortunately, they may be texting, talking, or adjusting the radio, for example. At high speeds, even a small distraction can turn deadly.
- Lack of Training – Navigating a semi-truck requires plenty of training and tests to ensure drivers will be safe on the road. Unfortunately, many drivers might not get the full training they need, or they may simply be inexperienced. When they need to make split-second decisions to avoid jackknifing or losing control, that inexperience is dangerous.
- Defective Parts – In some cases, the driver may not be responsible for the accident. When a manufacturer is careless and lets a defective part slip through, you could be injured by their negligence. You’ll need to file a claim against the manufacturer for your suffering.
- Drowsy Driving – Many truck drivers pull long shifts to make deadlines, often for incentives. That means they might be sleepy on the road. Drowsy drivers have less control and weaker reflexes when something goes wrong.
Liability Is Complicated in Big Rig Accidents
You may know what caused the accident, but who’s responsible for your suffering? You may already know that South Carolina is a fault state, which means that in Spartanburg, financial responsibility is on the person who’s responsible for the accident. However, that’s not always another driver.
Looking at the causes can help you find the person responsible. For example, while a defective part might have caused the semi-truck to crash, the driver isn’t responsible for an accident like this, since they couldn’t avoid it. Instead, the manufacturer who caused the defect should be held responsible.
Even if the driver is responsible, they might not be the financially responsible party. Instead, you may need to turn to their employer for your compensation. Employers are responsible for all accidents that happen under their supervision, which may include yours. If you’re not certain who the liable party is, however, your lawyer can help you find them.
Compensation after a Semi Crash
After your accident with a tractor-trailer, you’ll also need to know what compensation to fight for. You’re likely overwhelmed by your losses, however, which makes it tough to recover. Fortunately, your accident attorney can help you find your claim’s worth.
Keep in mind that you’ll need both economic and non-economic damages to recover the full compensation you deserve. That means you’ll need to seek out compensation for your financial losses, like the care you’ll need for your injuries, and you’ll also need your non-economic damages covered. These include the emotional and mental losses you’ve suffered.
Unfortunately, these damages can be difficult to calculate on your own. While you might know your hospital bills or your car’s worth, knowing the costs of your mental suffering can be difficult to estimate. You’ll need the tools your Spartanburg lawyer can offer to calculate your expenses.
When you’re injured in a crash, you may seek any of the following damages or others, depending on the aftermath of your accident:
- Current and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Spartanburg Truck Accident FAQ
Unfortunately, no two semi-truck crashes will be the same, which makes getting the answers you need more complex. You have specific questions about your situation, and it can be difficult to file without the answers you need.
That’s what our attorneys are here for, however. We have the answers you need for your truck accident claim. If you still have questions, reach out to our lawyers. We’ll give you the personalized answers you need to make your case a success.
I think I was partly at fault. Can I still sue?
Even if you think you were partly responsible, it’s best to defend your claim as best as possible. South Carolina recognizes modified comparative negligence. That means your compensation will be reduced by the amount of fault you’re found for. If you’re more than 50 percent at fault for the crash, you’ll be completely barred from recovery.
What if I lost a loved one in an 18-wheeler accident?
Unfortunately, you might have lost a family member because a trucker was negligent with their safety. In these cases, you’ll need to file a wrongful death claim, which can be complex. Since the injured party is no longer living, you’ll need a lawyer’s help to ensure your family can recover compensation for their loss.
How long do I have to act?
When you’re hurt by a truck driver, you’ll need to act fast to get your compensation. You’ll only have three years to file your claim in Spartanburg for the compensation you need. If you don’t act in time, you could be barred from recovery, and your claim will be dismissed.
Seek Out a Spartanburg Semi-Truck Crash Lawyer
When you’ve been hit by a tractor-trailer, it can be difficult or even impossible to fully recover from your suffering. You’ve been injured, you’re traumatized by your experience, and you’re overwhelmed by the legal process around your claim. As such, you’ll need help with your recovery.
Fortunately, that’s where a lawyer from HawkLaw, PA can step in. We understand how complex and painful these cases can be, and we’re on your side. Take advantage of your free consultation*, and we’ll discuss your claim timeline and what we can do. We want you to know we’re the right fit for you before we begin.
Visit Our Office
Moore, SC 29369