Spartanburg Personal Injury Lawyer
Serious injuries can haunt you for years after your accident. Worse, you might not have been responsible for your injuries. If this is the case, seek out a personal injury lawyer for the help you need for your recovery.
When you have been in an accident, it can be tough to recover. Whether you were hit by another driver, injured by faulty appliances, attacked by an animal, or something else, your suffering does not stop at your injuries. Instead, you are hurt and traumatized, making it difficult to recover from your losses.
As such, you will need help on your side. Someone has injured you, but you might not know how to fight back, what options are available to you, or what you will need to do to defend your claim. Fortunately, a Spartanburg personal injury lawyer from HawkLaw, P.A. can help. Reach out to our law office today by calling 888.HAWK.LAW or use our contact page for the help you need for a successful Spartanburg case.
What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Personal injury attorneys advocate for victims of different types of accidents who have suffered due to the negligent behavior or action of another party. They work in tort law, which is inclusive of both negligent and intentional acts. If you are a victim of an accident, your Spartanburg personal injury lawyer will:
- Provide legal representation so you can receive deserved compensation
- Investigate claims carefully and gather evidence to support the victim’s claim
- Pursue the highest levels of eligible compensation under South Carolina law
- Work on contingency which means you do not pay unless you win a settlement*
- Negotiate with insurance companies and protect you from being offered lowball settlements
- Present all of your legal options in a straightforward manner to help you make decisions
When insurance companies will not offer a fair settlement or dispute injury claims, your attorney will discuss your options, including the possibility of preparing a complaint against the party who is at fault for the accident. Then, they will represent you in court if the case goes to trial, advocating solely in your best interests.
Common Types Of Personal Injuries
Personal injury claims can be tough without help because there are so many different types of injuries. Without the right help, you might be overwhelmed and uncertain about what rules will affect your claim.
Fortunately, a personal injury lawyer serving Spartanburg from our firm can help. We will investigate the cause of your claim, making sure you know what you are dealing with and who might be responsible. If you believe you have suffered any of the following injuries, reach out for help:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Not every driver is so careful with your safety. Whether you were in a car accident, motorcycle accident, or truck accident, you will need compensation for your recovery. Even dealing with your insurer can be tough, so get help fighting back.
- Product Liability – Not all our appliances and products are as safe as we hope. Whether it is a faulty appliance or a defective drug, seek out help when you are injured by a product.
- Medical Malpractice – We trust our doctors not to make mistakes, but sometimes, it happens. Worse, they might have made a mistake because they were careless. In this situation, you will need help filing a claim against your doctor.
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents – Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe. When they do not you could slip, trip, or fall, leaving you with painful injuries because others were careless, making them responsible for premises liability.
- Wrongful Death – Sadly, you might have lost a loved one because someone else was careless. It can be tough to regain your compensation during this time, so you will need help getting the compensation your family needs to move on.
- Nursing Home Abuse – Regrettably, many patients at nursing homes are physically abused, neglected, or emotionally abused when they cannot stand up for themselves. Families hiring Spartanburg personal injury attorneys find someone who can help victims and their loved ones to receive justice and compensation for injuries and emotional distress.
Finding The At-Fault Party
When you are injured, one of your first concerns should be knowing who is responsible for your injuries. You will need compensation for your injuries, but that compensation must come from somewhere. While you might know who or what caused the accident, you may need help finding the person responsible for your losses.
For example, you know that the medication you took made you even sicker than before. In this case, who is responsible for your injuries? Often, it comes down to the doctor who prescribed the drug, the pharmacist who filled it, or the manufacturer who produced it.
Often, fault depends on how you were injured. For example, let’s say your doctor misdiagnosed you out of carelessness. In this case, they are the responsible party. If the pharmacist wrongly filled your prescription, they are at fault. If everyone else did their jobs properly, however, the fault might lie with the manufacturer, who perhaps did not safely test the drug first.
Getting Compensation For Your Losses
Finding the person responsible for your suffering can be tough, but once you have done so, you will also need to find what that suffering is worth. That can be difficult without the tools a lawyer can offer, so be sure to seek out a personal injury lawyer in Spartanburg when you are ready to get the compensation you need.
First, make sure that you will receive your economic damages. These financial losses can vary and be long-term, which can make calculating them more complex. If you have had to pay or will have to pay for something because of your accident, however, you may be eligible for compensation. This type of damage includes the following:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Accommodations for long-term injury recovery
You should also seek compensation for your non-economic damages, which may be more difficult. Non-economic damages cover the mental and emotional losses you have suffered because of your injury. These damages are often more difficult to calculate because they are not tangible losses you can easily add up.
For example, a broken leg can be extremely painful, but what is your suffering worth? That depends on a few factors, such as how that pain affects your life. As such, you will need someone with the resources to calculate your damages. If you are not sure what non-economic damages you might need to include, check out the list below for examples:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Loss of security
- Emotional trauma
Speaking with an experienced personal injury lawyer positions you to make sure all of your injuries are documented and presented in your case. At HawkLaw, we will make sure nothing is overlooked or left out in the personal injury claims process.
What Is the Average Cost of a Personal Injury Lawyer?
It is hard to put a cost on a personal injury case since they drastically vary, depending on a law firm’s policy. At HawkLaw, we offer free consultations* to evaluate your case. You will not have to pay anything unless your case is won. This is known as a contingency fee. Please read our disclaimer to learn more about how we will handle the financial aspect of your case.
Spartanburg Personal Injury FAQ
When you have been badly injured, you need to know what to expect from your claim. Unfortunately, that is tough when you do not have the knowledge on your side to answer your questions.
Fortunately, our lawyers want you to stay informed throughout your personal injury claim. If you still have questions, let us help. Check out our personal injury FAQ below, and give us a call about your unique questions. We will help you understand your claim.
Can I Sue If My Child Was Injured?
While children can be injured just as easily as others (if not more easily), as minors they do not have the right to sue in South Carolina. Fortunately, you will be able to file a claim on their behalf for their suffering. However, you will likely need a Spartanburg County lawyer’s help to correctly file a personal injury claim for your child.
How Much Time Do I Have To File?
For most injury victims in South Carolina, you will only have three years to file. That means that if you try to file after more than three years, your claim will be dismissed. That leaves you without compensation, so fight back today for your claim. It does not matter if you are in a car accident, medical malpractice, or another accident that left you with thousands of dollars of medical bills, the law does limit your ability to file a claim, so do not delay.
Can I Sue For Punitive Damages?
In most cases, you will be able to seek punitive damages, but it can be difficult to prove you should receive them. This type of damage requires that you prove the other party was willfully dangerous or wanton in their conduct, which means providing more evidence for your claim. Accident victims typically need an experienced attorney for this.
How A Personal Injury Lawyer In Spartanburg Can Help You
A major injury can leave you and your family devastated. You are ready to file your claim for the full amount you deserve, but you are overwhelmed by everything that must be done. Unfortunately, that means many injury victims end up losing the compensation they deserve.
Fortunately, you will have help on your side. At HawkLaw, P.A., our personal injury law firm understands the pain and confusion that a personal injury claim brings. It can be tough to recover, which means you will need experience and empathy on your side. We know how much you are suffering, so we will give you the support you need to fight back. Our clients will attest that HawkLaw Fights to Win and that we take our promise seriously to stand with you every step of the way.
Considering filing a claim, but unsure where to begin? Reach out to us either by phone or our online contact form for a free consultation*. We will discuss your personal injury claim and make sure you know what your claim needs. That way, you know what to expect before you ever get started. Our law firm offers years of experience in a number of different practice areas.